Friday, June 22, 2007

Celebrate It or Ignore It

I'm reading my roommate Lennie's copy of Tom Robbins' Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates. Lennie's a good buddy of mine, and we used to work together guiding sea kayak trips. I came across a part in the book where Switters, the main character, gets mad at himself for whining about the heat. Weather, he explains, ". . . ought either to be celebrated or ignored."

So I kept reading, thinking that was a quote I should really write down. I work in weather. Kayak guiding, bike couriering, it's all weather all the time. May as well celebrate it or ignore it.

A few paragraphs later, I find Switters' weather philosophy mentioned again, and this time, it's underlined in pencil. Could only be Lennie; it's his book. Lennie works in weather, too. Something to quote for the kayak clients during the next downpour. He probably already has.

No comments:

Post a Comment